Monday, July 11, 2016

S.C.O.O.B.

scooby2_1996628cRelease Date: September 21, 2018

Director: Tony Cervone (Space Jam, The Looney Tunes Show, Scooby-Doo Mystery Incorporated)

Producers: Charles Roven (Scooby-Doo, Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed), Richard Suckle (Scooby-Doo, Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed), Allison Abbate (The Iron Giant, The Lego Movie)

Written by: Matt Lieberman (Dr. Doolittle: Tail to the Chief)



My Thoughts:

S.C.O.O.B.

That’s the title of the new high budget, theater releasing, Scooby-Doo movie. Ever since 2004 when Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed was released there hasn’t been a Scooby doo movie that has been released in theaters…until now. Warner Brothers, the owner of Scooby-Doo, has announced that on September 21, 2018 a new fully animated feature film will be released into the theaters starring none other than the famous canine Scooby-Doo and the rest of the gang.

Scooby-gang-1969At first I was really excited because it was going to be a high budget (don’t actually know the budget) animated film. Emphasis on ANIMATED. In the past there have been theatrical, high budget Scooby Doo movies; however, they were live-action. The two live-action films were better than expected, but still not quite the Scooby-doo I love. I loathed Matthew Lillard as Shaggy—the build did not match. People seemed to praise Matthew Lillard portrayal of Shaggy, but I felt like Shaggy should be tall and lanky. I figured that Shaggy would be so thin that the shirt would be hanging off of him, Lillard was a bit too filled out for that to happen. Matthew Lillard didn’t do too badly of a job with the voice, but I just couldn’t get over his appearance. Daphne acted like she had something to prove (which I know is what is intended) but I felt like it was too in-you-face. Velma? Meh. Freddie Prize Jr.? Meh. Scooby?...Meh.

[caption id="attachment_1262" align="aligncenter" width="620"]Live Action Scooby-Doo Live Action Scooby-Doo[/caption]

Regardless, I WAS excited for this animated movie until I saw the title of the film: S.C.O.O.B. Honestly, when I first saw the title my jaw dropped a little. I mean, come on, the title sounds sort of…stupid. When the title was announced they didn’t release what the movie would be about so I figured the studio was just trying to be “hip” and “in-crowd.” Only later did I figure out the film was going to be about “Scooby-Doo and the Mystery Machine gang working for a larger organization” (Wikipedia) which I guess makes the title a bit more sense. The way the title is stylized implies S.C.O.O.B is an acronym for their new secret agent status and I am quite excited to learn what it stands for, which I guess I’ll find out in 2018.

As for what the animation is going to look like. I do hope that the characters will all get a fresh redesign, and as long as they don’t look like the picture below then the characters I’ll be okay with it.

[caption id="attachment_1252" align="aligncenter" width="300"]If the character design look like this then I'll scream injustice! If the character design look like this then I'll scream injustice![/caption]

This film project is aimed at re-booting the Scooby-doo franchise as well as launching a Hanna-Barbera movie universe. As a reboot, this movie is going to need to be very excellent to successfully to revamp the franchise.

Am I going to see this movie in the theaters when it comes out? Most definitely. Will I love it? I dearly hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment