Thursday, July 14, 2016

S.C.O.O.B


Release Date: September 21, 2018

Director: Tony Cervone (Space Jam, The Looney Tunes Show, Scooby-Doo Mystery Incorporated)
Producers: Charles Roven (Scooby-Doo, Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed), Richard Suckle (Scooby-Doo, Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed), Allison Abbate (The Iron Giant, The Lego Movie)
Written by: Matt Lieberman (Dr. Doolittle: Tail to the Chief)
S.C.O.O.B
That’s the title of the new high budget, theater releasing, Scooby-Doo movie. Ever since 2004 when Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed was released there hasn’t been a Scooby doo movie that has been released in theaters…until now. Warner Brothers, the owner of Scooby-Doo, has announced that on September 21, 2018 a new fully animated feature film will be released into the theaters starring none other than the famous canine Scooby-Doo and the rest of the gang.
At first I was really excited because it was going to be a high budget (don’t actually know the budget) animated film. Emphasis on ANIMATED. In the past there have been theatrical, high budget Scooby Doo movies; however, they were live-action. The two live-action films were better than expected, but still not quite the Scooby-doo I love. I loathed Matthew Lillard as Shaggy—the build did not match. People seemed to praise Matthew Lillard portrayal of Shaggy, but I felt like Shaggy should be tall and lanky. I figured that Shaggy would be so thin that the shirt would be hanging off of him, Lillard was a bit too filled out for that to happen. Matthew Lillard didn’t do too badly of a job with the voice, but I just couldn’t get over his appearance. Daphne acted like she had something to prove (which I know is what is intended) but I felt like it was too in-you-face. Velma? Meh. Freddie Prize Jr.? Meh. Scooby?...Meh.
Live action Scooby-Doo
Regardless, I WAS excited for this animated movie until I saw the title of the film: S.C.O.O.B. Honestly, when I first saw the title my jaw dropped a little. I mean, come on, the title sounds sort of…stupid. When the title was announced they didn’t release what the movie would be about so I figured the studio was just trying to be “hip” and “in-crowd.” Only later did I figure out the film was going to be about “Scooby-Doo and the Mystery Machine gang working for a larger organization” (Wikipedia) which I guess makes the title a bit more sense. The way the title is stylized implies S.C.O.O.B is an acronym for their new secret agent status and I am quite excited to learn what it stands for, which I guess I’ll find out in 2018.

As for what the animation is going to look like. I do hope that the characters will all get a fresh redesign, and as long as they don’t look like the picture below then the characters I’ll be okay with it.







If the character design look like this then I’ll scream injustice!

This film project is aimed at re-booting the Scooby-doo franchise as well as launching a Hanna-Barbera movie universe. As a reboot, this movie is going to need to be very excellent to successfully to revamp the franchise.

Am I going to see this movie in the theaters when it comes out? Most definitely. Will I love it? I dearly hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment