Thursday, August 13, 2015

Review! The School for Good and Evil: The Last Ever After (Book 3)

93fc47de-7f59-4711-9460-dc60076fbee0._V316934390_To be honest, I don't really have many feelings toward this book (or really about the whole series in and of itself). The books keep me entertained when I read them and I don't have any trouble finishing the books, but once I finish them I have no desire to read them again. In addition to that, after a few days I don't really remember what has happened in the novel. Also, I don't really like most of the characters.


I had hoped that this book wouldn't rely too heavily on what happened in the previous books even though the stories are directly connected. Soman Chainani does a great job of not relying on the details from the previous books to build this story (mostly). Of course, that's not to say you can/should read this book without reading the first two.
One of the only things I remember from the first book was Hort and how he fell for Sophie. In the second book I vaguely remember Hort being Sophie's friend when Sophie was a boy. In these two books Hort was definitely my favorite character, so I was psyched when he showed up in this book and that he had a relatively large role. That being said, I was sad that in the end Sophia, Agatha, and Tedros got their happy ending but poor Hort didn't.




Out of all of the characters I must say that I didn't like any of the main ones (Agatha, Sophie, and Tedros). I thought that they were all temperamental and capricious. I can't say that I liked any of the actions that they made. Instead of learning from their mistakes they seem to make the same ones over and over (for example, Agatha trusting Sophie). The characters are definitely not the strongest point in this book, and in fact I actually think they are the weakest.

There were some things that I didn't really understand or maybe they just weren’t explained well. For example, why was Sophie dreaming of Lancelot? And why did Lancelot want to stop Sophie from destroying the ring? The only idea I have on that is that Lancelot didn't fight for his ever after until later so Sophie should fight for hers now, but that seems like a really weak point seeing as Lancelot and Sophie were on opposite sides. Regardless, I really didn't see why Lancelot was showing up in Sophie's nightmares.tumblr_nl455bI2yd1rkf2kpo1_1280

My last comment on this book is that I'm not really convinced that this is The End. In the other two previous books the ending's always looked like The End, but it never was The End. I would like to think that this is The End of The Tale of Agatha and Sophie, but I just don't get a sense of closure when finishing the book.

Overall, I would recommend this book to readers of the previous books and the series isn't bad to pass the time, but I think it left a little to be desired. Like I previously stated, I was entertained when I read it but it is not one of my favorites and didn't leave much of an impression on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment