Thursday, September 29, 2016

Disney Descendants 2

descendants_2_logo

Information released so far (from ohmy.disney.com):

Release: Summer of 2017

Written by: Josann McGibbon and Sara Parriott

Director, Executive Producer, Choreographer: Kenny Ortega

The summary to date:
The story deepens in the music-driven sequel to the global smash hit “Descendants,” as the teenage sons and daughters of Disney’s most infamous villains — Mal, Evie, Carlos and Jay (also known as Villain Kids or VKs) — try to find their place in idyllic Auradon. When the pressure to be royally perfect becomes too much for Mal, she returns to her rotten roots on the Isle of the Lost where her archenemy Uma, the daughter of Ursula, has taken her spot as self-proclaimed queen of the run-down town.  Uma, still resentful over not being selected by Ben to go to Auradon Prep with the other Villain Kids, stirs her pirate gang including Captain Hook’s son Harry and Gaston’s son Gil, to break the barrier between the Isle of the Lost and Auradon, and unleash all the villains imprisoned on the Isle, once and for all.



https://youtu.be/IavEQr8RHHU

Early Trailer


Seeing as at least a portion of the film will be held on the Isle of the Lost there will be some new villain kids. The ones that have been announced are:

China Anne McClain as Uma (daughter of Ursula)

china-anne-mcclain_uma-descendants

Dylan Playfair as Gil (son of Gaston)

gaston-son-gil-descendants-242x141

Thomas Doherty as Harry (son of Captain Hook)

captain-hook1

Anna Cathcart as Dizzy (daughter of Drizella)

drizella-daughter-dizzy-descendants-242x141(Images came from  ohmy.disney.com)

My Thoughts:

In all honesty, I am slightly ashamed that I am a fan of Disney Descendants. I mean it's a Disney Channel Original Movie (DCOM). They usually end up as hits or misses and most are misses (like 90%). Normally I watch DCOM's by myself, in secret, and then I never mention the moment again. They normally don't leave much of an impression on me and I find them to be rather bland. Still, they are sort of a guilty pleasure no matter how bad they are. But, with Descendants I actually found it to be serviceable. As such, I'm actually pretty excited for this sequel.

Judging from the synopsis I think it's safe to say that we will be seeing more of the Isle of the Lost, which I'm pretty stoked over. We saw a glimpse of the Isle of the Lost at the beginning of Rotten to the Core in the first movie as well as in the books by Melissa de la Cruz, and it seemed like a pretty colorful place to live. Aside from Mal (who wasn't my favorite), I found the villain kids to be much more entertaining than the hero kids (Doug excluded, whom I loved). With at least a portion of the movie taking place on the Isle of the Lost we're going to see a lot more of the villain kids in their natural habitat and if written well I think this movie could be better than the first in terms of characterization. In the first movie we watched the kids turn from bad to good. In this movie with the kids returning to the evil roots we likely will see the huge character changes that these kids have made by going into Auradon.

Not only will we see the kids go back to their villain home, we get to see them wear new villain clothing. From the first look at the sequel we get to see the main characters, Mal, Evie, Carlos, Jay, and Ben with new looks!d2bar640

In the first movie I found the villain kids to have a much better sense of style than the hero kids. At least the outfits were somewhat inspired. A few comments on the new looks. Mal's hair looks much better and makes her look more mature. Lovin' Ben in villain kid clothing; it's a huge improvement. After watching the first movie I'm convinced Evie can look good in anything and she does blow expectations with this new outfit. As for Carlos and Jay, Carlos has wicked new hair and...are those velvet pants on Jay? Hmm...not sure how I feel about those yet. Overall though, I like the changes in the outfits, especially for Ben.

As my last point, my biggest hope for this movie is that Doug appears in it. I LOVE Doug and Evie and I just couldn't get enough of them together in the first movie.

tumblr_nzmzob9ohy1upr7ojo6_1280Bottom line: I liked the first movie well enough and I'm excited to visit the Isle of the Lost again (and, to a lesser extent, Auradon).

No comments:

Post a Comment